Saturday, May 24, 2014

BLOG BIRTHDAY GUEST POST: Alexa Bourne



Happy 1 Year Birthday! I’m so excited to be a part of this celebration!

I LOVE celebrating any good holidays with a nice stiff drink or a sweet chocolate cake or both! Oooh, and the presents. Can’t forget them. When I was little, I loved getting gifts and didn’t really think about giving any away. As a child, I’d sign the cards my mother shoved in front of me for others (like my grandparents), but I focused only on my own gifts and when I might be able to open them. 

As a teenager, I would carefully wrap presents for my family and friends, gifts I bought with my own money. Yes, I was more excited to give stuff away than before, but opening my own presents was still so much more fun. Did my friends really know me well enough (and care enough) to get me something I really wanted? The anticipation made the parties even more exciting. 

When I reached adulthood (and as I’ve swirled through the years since), receiving gifts became less important. Sure, I still love getting them, but it’s so much more satisfying to watch the people I love open the gifts I took so much time to choose especially for them. Sometimes the first expression is priceless, like when I bought my only niece (after 5 nephews) a stuff bear almost as big as her. It’s been at least 10 years, but I can still hear the gasp from her toddler mouth and remember her wide blue eyes when she pulled the fluffy bear from the box. 

What about you? Are you a better giver or receiver? Any stories for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment