Monday, June 3, 2013

It Had to Be You (Lucky Harbor 7) by Jill Shalvis

Books

It Had To Be You
(Luke's Story)
A Novel
Book Seven
Grand Central
May 28, 2013
ISBN 978-1455521128 

It Had To Be You

Ali Winters is not having a good day. Her boyfriend left her, everyone in town thinks she’s a thief, and now she’s about to be kicked out of her home. Her only shot at keeping a roof over her head and clearing her name is to beg for help from a police detective who’s as sexy as he is stern….
After a high-profile case goes wrong, Luke Hanover returns to his hometown for some peace and quiet. Instead he finds a bombshell brunette in a heap of trouble. As he helps Ali put her world back together, the pieces of Luke’s own life finally seem to fall into place. Is this the start of a sizzling fling? Or are Luke and Ali on the brink of something big in a little town called Lucky Harbor?

Excerpt:
She did her best to appear as though she hadn’t just been sitting in an interrogation room for hours being questioned about a crime she hadn’t committed. But as it turned out, the pretense was far too much for her overloaded emotions, and she closed her eyes, trying to disappear into the seat. If she disappeared, then he couldn’t see her fall apart.

“You okay?” he asked.

Her throat tightened further, and she shook her head. Nope. Not okay. Not even close. “Don’t,” she said.

“Don’t what?”

“Don’t be nice to me right now. I’ll lose it.”

With surprising gentleness, he pushed the hair from her face, then clicked open her seatbelt.
It was all the invitation she was going to get, and all the invitation she needed. Turning to him, she burrowed in as steady, strong arms closed around her. He stroked a hand down her back, and she pressed her face into the crook of his neck, soaking in the warm comfort he offered.

It was the safest and most secure she’d felt in far too long and she wasn’t sure she was going to be able to let go.

“Ali.”

Afraid he was going to pull away before she was done soaking him in, she squirmed a little closer. “Please not yet.”

He tightened his grip. “It’s okay. I’ve got you.”

Thank God. For just this one second, someone had her.

Sarah's Review: 

I have been patiently waiting for almost a year for this to come out.  I found out about the Lucky Harbor series through a couple people who did reviews of the series, and I had to read them.  I devoured the first 5 in as many days.  Book 6 was a couple weeks from releasing, so I was impatient.  Then we have a Christmas glimpse of the prior couples which held me over.  I absolutely love this series and  I recommend it every chance I get.  

Luke and Ali quickly became one of my favorite Lucky Harbor couples.  The chemistry between the two of them was great right from the beginning.  I love that they both tried to keep themselves from falling for the other, but they also worked together to clear Ali's name when she is wrongfully accused of a crime by her ex-boyfriend.  I love that Luke continuously kept saying he wasn't getting involved, but he did everything in his power to clear Ali's name. 

I enjoyed that we got to see a bit about some of the faves: Sheriff Sawyer and Gossip Queen Lucille.  Mentions of Maggie, Tara, Chloe and Ford were a nice touch as well.  I hope to hear some updates about our previous couples and how life is going for them in future books, but Jack and Ben are getting their stories, so I anticipate much!  

September is a long way off for Jack, but Lucky Harbor is an amazing series that I will continue to recommend to anyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment